The Metrobus North Capitol Street Line Study (en español)
- Who is involved? The study is a partnership between Metro and the District of Columbia Department of Transportation (DDOT).
- What is being studied? Metrobus Route 80.
- Where is the corridor located? Route 80 runs from Fort Totten Metro in Northeast DC, through Brookland, along North Capitol Street, then west through Downtown DC to the Kennedy Center.
- Why was this corridor chosen for study? Route 80 has one of the highest riderships in the District and the Metrobus system, but the line has some service and operational issues that need to be evaluated and fixed to provide a better experience for riders. As the study progresses, specific challenges facing the line will be identified and potential solutions will be recommended.
- When did the study begin? October 2012. Metro and DDOT will study the line over a six-month period and they expect to have preliminary recommendations for improvements ready for Metro Board in early 2013.
- How will service on the line be improved? To answer this question, Metro is relying on input from riders. A survey of Route 80 riders is being conducted with public meetings to follow in late 2012 and early 2013. Please visit this page again in the coming months to learn more about the study as it progresses.
Follow @MetrobusStudies on Twitter
Reports & Publications
• Tech Memo 1: Transit Service Assessment
• Tech Memo 2: Rider Survey, Final Results
• Tech Memo 3: Traffic Operations Assessment
• Tech Memo 4: Public Meetings Summary
• Tech Memo 5: Service Improvement Options
• Tech Memo 6: Final Summary Report
• North Capitol Street Priority Corridor Study “PlanItMetro” Comment Responses, August 2013
• Display boards, public meeting #3, May 2013 (includes recommendations for improvements)
• Display boards, public meeting series #2, February 2013
• Display boards, public meeting series #1, December 2012
Timetables & Maps
Route 80 Timetable
Click on the icon for a large map of the Route 80 service.
Five public meetings and a focus group were held as part of the Metrobus Route 80 study.
— Two public meetings took place at Providence Hospital in Northeast DC -- one in November 2012 and the other in February 2013.
— Two more public meetings were held at Phoenix Park Hotel near Union Station, also in November and February.
— The final public meeting was held at St. Anthony's School in Brookland in May 2013.
— The focus group was held at MLK LIbrary in December 2012.
The project team spoke with participants and heard their suggestions about ways to improve transit service in the Route 80 corridor.
At this time, the comments that have been received from riders are being worked into the study's final report. The report's recommendations will be submitted to the WMATA Board for approval in Summer 2013.
If you would like to contact the project team, please send an e-mail directly to them.